Friday, January 15, 2010

Internship #6

Project description

Internship site: La Vida Creations

Department: The Arts (Photography)

Project Title: Through The Lens

General Description: Basically, I will be showcasing the photography I've been taking through an album (but it will probably be digital), a slideshow, and a blog. Along with this, I will be writing a business plan and budget.

Learning Objectives: To learn more about how math is incorporated into the real world of business, as well as what exactly goes into running a business of my own, and what to consider in pricing photography.

Organization/Company Objectives & Benefits: To create an organized contact system so they can keep up with their business connections to further improve their own business.

Schedule: First week is mostly introduction to photography, the second week is beginning business aspects, and the third and forth weeks are to put them all together.

Academic Skills: Math, design, independent writing, organization.

Technical Skills: Photo-editing, Exposure (all the aspects in taking professional pictures), using Excel to keep information organized as well as create a business plan, and Booksmart to learn how to design and publish an album.

Collaboration—Skills and Opportunities: The skills I'll be learning is all of the above (photography, editing, math in business, organization, and design). The oppertunity I have been given is to start putting my art out into the world, and gain connections in photography, and photo-journalism.

Exhibition Plans: Showing the contact system I have created (probably a har copy), my slideshow, album, and blog.

A Summary of My Week
What were the highlights? What challenges did you face and how did you manage them? How did you work with others? What did you see and/or experience that you did not expect? How would you describe your first week to someone who has never had an internship?:

My favorite part of the week was making my blog, because I have never really designed a blog. Sure, I've picked the skins and such, but I've never been able to pick the color design, header picture, and where the links will go! The hardest part of this week was probably finding the alphabet letters (the shapes of them) in the real world. I couldn't just take pictures of signs with the letters on them, I had to use my imagination and look really hard for all of the letters. I am overcoming this challenge by dedicating more time to finding the letters around San Diego. I did not expect to be given so many materials to read, but I find them very interesting! If I were to describe my first week of internship to somone, I'd probably tell them that it's a little nervewracking at first, but it doesn't take long to get used to it. I'd also tell them to make sure to take plenty of notes, and that to make it easier for themselves, they should probably make an organized schedule. Dedicate certain times of the day to get certain things done.


1/15/10
I worked really hard and really long today, because I really want to get ahead of the game for my internship. I read almost the entire book on Lightroom my mentors gave me, took notes on it, read the packet they gave me, worked on my business plan and such, experimented with blurb (quite a lot), went out and took a bunch of pictures, and so forth. I've gotta say, being busy was pretty fun. I still have plenty more to do, though.
I've been thinking of themes to photograph, as well. I was thinking of doing benches, or old-looking buildngs, or playing cards. I'm still deciding.

No comments:

Post a Comment