Sunday, January 31, 2010

Internship #13


I took this picture during my internship, and decided to use it for this post because it was one of the first times I decided I would look harder for something to take a picture of. I have widened my perspective.

It's amazing to think that just a few weeks ago, I was beginning internship, thinking I was already well prepared and aware of what I would learn. I did not underestimate my mentors, but I did overlook a lot of details to photography. I guess there wasn't really any way of me knowing. Within the first day of my internship, I learned more than I had even imagined. The things I learned were not just about photography, but about life. I soon realized that every single moment is one of a kind, and every day, every hour, every minute, they pass us by. I had not come to realize the true beauty of the world—all of the world—until just recently. Thinking back on it, I can't believe how unaware I was of what was around me. There were so many things that went unappreciated. For example, I always thought of my neighborhood as dull and boring, with little to offer. But one day, when I was trying to take more pictures, I explored it. In doing this, I forced myself to widen my gaze, and what I saw was little details that made things beautiful. Things I had never noticed. It seems I do this more often now.
My final products are a slideshow, a photo album, a business plan outline, and a business budget. I’m quite proud of all of them, but I can definitely improve on each of them. The main product I know I could improve is my album. I got many of my pictures in it, but not all. The design of it isn’t very particular. The next time I make an album, I’d like to put more thought into it, so it can tell a story. The same goes for my slideshow, but I like the way my slideshow turned out better than my album. I’m quite proud of my business plan outline, because I think I put myself into it, and while I was writing it, I really thought about how I would want my own business to be, and I realized just how unique my ideas were. The budget I made was a bit of a challenge. It was hard to decide on prices, and think of why I would price them that way. But with Betsy and Jeff’s (my mentors) help, it was easier, and I managed to do it through a lot of thought. However, I have a feeling that I’ve overlooked something. So, I think that if I could, I would double check, and get a critique on it. I really enjoyed learning about business, because it’s fascinating how much goes into it all. This is the part of math that I enjoy. The kind that connects to a lot more in my own world.
I realized that this world has so much more for me, and there’s still a lot about myself that I don’t know. I don’t know exactly what I want to be, or what my future will be like. But for some reason, I know I’m ready to take it on. Before, I guess I was afraid. When I would think about how close I am to adulthood, I’d start to wonder if I was anywhere near ready for that kind of responsibility. I’m just a kid. I didn’t feel any different than how I was in middle school, other than being smarter, and a bit wiser. Still, I wasn’t sure. But somehow, now I know I can take it on. I know college and beyond will be a big adjustment period, but at the same time, I love those kinds of times, because I love new experiences and I know I’ll get through it. I’m more confident in my ability to be independent.
I’m not sure if I’ll be a writer of fiction or fact. I’m not sure if photography will be something I do on my own, or if I’ll make a living off of it. All I know is that I want to do both, because they are both my passion. I’ve realized that I genuinely enjoy fashion photography. When I went to this Photog event, I felt like I could just be. I felt like I was in the right place, and I enjoyed it in a way that felt natural. I didn’t think I’d enjoy it as much as I did, and now I’m even considering pursuing a career in it. But I don’t plan on being like many of the fashion photographers I see. I don’t want my pictures to turn out the way many of the fashion pictures I see do. I want my pictures to tell a story. Simple, unique, and genuine ones that people can identify with. I want to improve the way people see advertisements in magazines and other media, because I know that there has to be more than just poses. There has to be a meaning, and a look that makes the picture seem real.
Who knows? Maybe I’ll be a magazine journalist who takes pictures to go with the article. Would that be another form of photojournalism? All I know is, I’ve definitely got a lot more decisions to make in order to pursue my dreams, and I’ve got to be ready to take on the challenges of the moments that are sure to come.



Then, write a reflection in which you highlight the most significant personal learning experiences for you at internship.
Before you log off, check out your blog buddies' writing and photography and leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment