Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Internship #3

For 1/11
Projects should be coherent collections of work samples and/or work experiences that are relevant and meaningful to both you and your company.
Answer these questions to get started:

1. What skills would you like to develop at your site?
Basic photographic skills as well as editing skills in Lightroom. As a bonus, maybe becoming a little more outgoing as well, or at least trying.

2. What interests do you have regarding the work done at your site?
I love the art of photography, first of all. I love finding new beautiful places and angles to create a work of art, purely from what's around us. I am also interested in business all together, since there's so much that goes into it that I don't really consider usually when I'm thinking about it.

3. What needs can you address (needs your mentor has, your company has, etc.) based on your skills and interests?
I can help them stay organized, and make a contact sheet for them so they can keep up with all of their business connections in a more efficiant way.

For tonight:
Remember, an internship projects is a coherent work experience, work sample or collection of experiences and samples that are relevant, useful and meaningful to the company and you.
Answer the following questions to help develop your project:

1. What academic skills could you use on the job?:
Well, math is a very big part of it when it comes to the business portion of photography. What I learned in This American Life really connects to this the most. That's the first thing that comes to mind.

2. What forms of collaboration could you use in a project?
I could learn to keep myself more organized by helping them keep their work cite even more organized. Is that what you mean?

3. What technical skills can you use at your internship?
We plan on using Excel, and Lightroom as well as Booksmart for design, So there's a lot of technical skills needed, since most (if not, all) of their work involves a computer.

4. What new things can you learn while working at your site?
I can learn more about running my own business, and photography as a whole. These are both relatively new aspects to me, so I'm prepared to learn a lot over these next few weeks.

5. How can you exhibit, showcase or otherwise share your work?
We plan on making an album, a different blog for myself (which is one I've been working on a lot), a contact system, and a slideshow.

6. How can your work or your skills & abilities help your company or organization?
When I went to PUG the other night with them, there was a successful photographer speaking, and one of his main points told photographers to be a mentor at some point. I thought that just fit in too perfectly with what we were doing. But I am also going to make a contact system for them.

Yesterday, I went out for another photoshoot with Jeff and Betsy. We went around Little Italy, and I helped carry around the equipment (which was just a hollywood reflector sheet) because they had to take headshots of a customer. I took a few myself for practice, but it was pretty hard to get the right lighting and angles, so I already know I need a lot of practice.
Today, I am continuing to work on my Business plan, and blog (different blog. Will post later). It takes so long to get everything just right, but hey, it's internship, and I can already see the difference in the quality of my pictures, and I'm learning even more than I had expected.
One of my new assignments is to write 50 different ways to say "You're awesom!" or "You look awesom!" to people while I'm taking pictures. The more confident the people feel, the more fun and open they'll be, and the pictures will be more fun as well.
I've got a lot of shyness to overcome, and this internship I think is helping me with that little by little. It's been an exciting week so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment