Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Blog 17

Post three organizations that might be useful resources for your MSB project. Post links to their websites. For example, you might want to interview a representative from San Diego's branch of Coastkeeper, so you'd post the link, name of the org and a brief description of who you want to interview, why, etc. Then... Post three gov't people (like Donna Frye, who is a City Council person) and/or branches of gov't that may be involved in some way in your MSB project. This might be the SD City Council, and you're going to report on their history with a specific site. Or, you might want to interview someone. Or, you might want to give them your final product to influence future gov't decisions. Make sure you post the name, the link, and the description of how this gov't agency or person could be involved in your project. Organizations: Coastkeeper (Still deciding who to pick) They do a lot of beach clean ups, so I'm sure they'd have plenty to say about the garbage on the beach, and what we can do to help. (Picking) (Picking) Govt. People SD City Council Member (Deciding) SD City Council Member (Deciding) Beach Police, since there are rules against littering, I can ask them how often they actually catch people littering, where, what the fines are, and so on.

Organizations:
SurfRider and Coastkeeper seem to be good soarces because they both do beach cleanups, and know about littering.

There was one more organization I wanted to include, but I need to get the list of soarces I handed in to Biology class to remember it.


Government:
I would like to interview someone from the San Diego Council, but I think I'd have to decide which district I'd like to base my reports on before I picked the specific council member(s).

I looked at Donna Frye first, though, and the first thing I saw on her page was a notification saying that water conservation measures are to be taken on November 1st, so that gave me a hint that she might care about our beaches. I looked into her background information and found out that she helped in the founding of an organization called S.T.O.P (Surfers Tired of Pollution), so then I knew she definately cared about the beach, meaning she'd most likely be willing and able to answer some of my questions about the trash cans and littering. I think basically any council member who's district includes a beach will be able to help me in this project, but Donna seems to be the one who has the biggest history with the beach.

I would also like to interview a policeman who works on the beach so I can find out about how many littering fines are handed out a day, and so forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment