Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Blog #12

List at least three questions that interest you for Media Saves the Beach! For each question, provide a little context, so we know where your thoughts are headed, why you thought of it, what you might do to answer it, etc.

Why are there so few trash cans and recycling bins on the beach? What would it take to add more?
I like this question because I've wondered about this since the 4th grade. Not to mention I can never manage to litter, because I always feel really guilty afterwords, and turn back to go pick it up. I've given up on even trying. But the only times I've really even considered littering is on the beach because sometimes I'll look around, and the next trashcan is a mile or so away. No surprise that many other people decide to litter. I was thinking I could try to book an interview with a government official that handles the beach issues of San Diego (maybe there are budget issues, etc). I'd take pictures of where garbage cans were, and where a lot of trash resided.

Why are so many dog beaches getting shut down?
I'm curious about this because I thought so many dog beaches were getting shut down because dogs pooped a lot on the beach, or something along those lines. But then I later learned that dogs provide less than 2% of the beach's water pollution. I'd find out where dog beaches used to be, and the reasons they were shut down by asking experts, and then ask people who go to dog beach why they like bringing their pets here so much/why it's important to them.

Which San Diego beach is the most polluted? Why?
I think this would be interesting to look into, because each beach has different aspects to them, and if we identify the problem, we can find some solutions. Some beaches are closer to sewage plants. Sometimes litter is found more in one place than another because it's more popular, etc. I'd pick out three very different beaches, test the water, and compare them. I'd then have to try and figure out why these beaches are this polluted through research, observation, and interviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment