Tuesday, September 15, 2009

American Icon Reflection (Blog 6)

1. I learned that I tend to write a lot more than what's actually needed. A lot of words and sentences can be cut out and still have the same impact in my writing. But, if needed, I know I can cut out a lot, and work with it so it fits on a page nicely. I also discovered that even though I'm a pretty decent writer now, I still have plenty I can learn. I actually had challenges to overcome after getting edited. Usually it doesn't take me long, or it's just small things, but there was plenty that could be tweeked this time around. So it's good to know the world of writing is even bigger than I thought!

2. One technique I tried to use more was evidence, and I think I definately accomplished that. I put a lot more evidence into my paper by using quotes, which I don't think I've ever actually done for any school writing assignment. I think this made my writing seem more legitimate, and understandable because of the multiple connections that were made so that a wider audiance could probably understand what I was trying to say.I also tried to use the thought of "concerts, not pancakes", meaning that each sentence sort of ends with a bang, like a concert. It's a way to keep the reader interested. I wouldn't say I accomplished this to the full extent, but I think I improved on keeping the interest flow together.

3. If I had time for one more draft, I'd probably try to think of another way to make my writing more fun, I guess. So it sort of held more of the Dr. Seuss spirit in it. It would probably be a long process, but I like making revisions to see how many other ways I can word something, or get a message through.

4. It only takes one spark to light a candle. It may be a bit cheesy, but I really do think it's a very important line to the entire reading. It is the very first line of my writing, and from the very start of this project when I picked my icon, that line has been the message. One of the main points of this writing was to tell that one little thing can change a person's life for the better. It can even change the world. And when that spark comes at a young age, it stays with you, and builds up. That's what I think, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment