Monday, December 14, 2009

Semester 1 Final Honors History Blog


1. Discuss your successes as an honors student this past semester:

I was certainly challenged in writing this semester, not just with just the writing itself, but even trying to figure out where to start. I hope I’ve improved at least a little throughout this semester. I’m glad I was introduced to the more journalistic form of writing, because it involves a lot of extra research and thinking, and in doing this, I think my mind has expanded. That would have to be my greatest success this semester.


2. Discuss what you might have done differently if you do this past semester of honors over again:

To be honest, I would have liked my grade in humanities to be higher. I’m grateful that I’ve managed to keep a 93 in the class, but I was really hoping to get a 95. Ninety five just seems like a good number. I know I could have tried harder and done better. This is how it goes every year. One thing I would have liked to have done over again is the MSB project, because I feel like I could have gotten a lot more experiences and knowledge out of it than I did. I would have liked to find more direct information on my own since I’ve been looking into journalism, and I know that journalist have to get information directly from the source. The MSB project would have been good practice for this.


3. Discuss your goals for honors in the second semester:

In the second semester, I’d like to really improve my essay writing skills. On my essays, I usually got B’s, so I know there’s plenty of room for improvement. Even without those grades I know I can improve, and I truly want to get better at writing since it’s a passion of mine. I’d like to take advantage of office hours a bit more and do at least three drafts for each essay with plenty of critiques from classmates as well as Randy. I’d also like to break from the habit of procrastinating. I’m excited to see how my writing and thought process changes next semester.


4. If you could choose any parts of literature and history for our honors work, what would you pick and why?:

When it comes to literature, I’d like to work with poetry, and fictional or narrative-nonfiction having to do with the psyche. I love reading and writing poetry, because every poem is sort of like a mystery to be figured out, and everyone has their own interesting interpretations of them. Plus I think I need practice with symbolism. I’d like to read and write about books about people with psychological struggles because the stories can be really twisted and also have extremely interesting and new perspectives that could stretch my mind. For example, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest seemed like a good book to read involving this. When it comes to history, I’d like to look into the Vietnam War since it’s the war I know the least about and many writers seem to be scarred over. I’m really interested in war stories nowadays since I read Tim O’Brian’s The Things They Carried, and that book really gave me a new perspective, and held my interest. I’m hoping to get that same, if not a better experience from another war story book.

No comments:

Post a Comment