Thursday, March 4, 2010

Blog #10

Do you believe that the Grapes of Wrath successfully establishes sympathy for the plight of Dust Bowl farmers? Why or why not?

Well, I can't say I know too much about the dust bowl, but from what I do know, I'd have to say yes. The first chapter of the book has a tone of dreariness, which I'm guessing would match the tone of how the farmers felt when this happened. And as the book goes on, we witness anger, rebellion, depression, and what the hard times bring. All of these, I'm sure, match what the farmers and such were feeling back then. This book is not a favorite of mine, but someone pointed out to me that this book isn't meant to be exciting. It's more for relation. This is probably the reason why I don't enjoy it that much. Because I can't relate to it that much. But as far as sympathy goes, I can definately see the connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment