Monday, June 7, 2010

Honors Lit Blog

If you could bring one character from any one book that we have read this year with you when you go to college, who would bring? Why?

This character could be your roommate (or suite-mate or housemate or whomever), a future classmate, a friend on campus, a professor, TA, grad student, or any other person you might regularly see on campus.

In a thoughtful blog entry, explain clearly who you would choose, what role he/she might take, and why you want to bring this particular character. Be sure to include specific evidence from the character, the book/novel, or other relevant sources.

Out of the characters from the books I have read this year, I would want to bring Ponyboy Curtis from The Outsiders to college with me as a classmate. I would want him as a classmate partly because he comes from a background that I haven't had experience with, such as Socs (Socials), and Greasers, and the fights that went on between them. He has an interesting character and perspective, plus he's a writer as well. He was supposed to be the one who had written The Outsiders, which he revealed at the very end of the book. Put that all together, and you get a great creative writing student.
When in college, I want to major in creative writing, with a minor in psychology. From what I read in The Outsiders, Ponyboy also wanted to be a writer, and was good at it as well. He was also considered smart in school. If he were one of my classmates, I'm sure I could ask him for some help with creative writing, or at least have the pleasure of reading what he wrote. One of the most interesting parts of being in a creative writing class, I'm sure, would be reading other classmate's writing, and reading from Ponyboy's perspective would be as interesting as it was in The Outsiders. I'm sure he would help me better my writing.
Another reason why I would want Ponyboy as a classmate is because he would be interesting to talk to as well. He was portrayed as an honest character, which is refreshing, and throughout the book he was considerate of other people, which is also refreshing. Plus, if I were to practice psychology, I could try to help him as well. In a way, he would give me new life lessons just by talking with him. In fact, he is one of the reasons I appreciate sunsets more now, thanks to how many times Ponyboy brought up sunsets. I figure he can teach me to appreciate a lot more as well. He seemed like a wise enough kid, and I think he'd make an interesting practice patient.
If Ponyboy Curtis were to join me at my college of choice as a classmate, I know it would benefit me as a student and a writer.


1 comment:

  1. 2 good things: you chose a good person, and you gave a good reason

    2 improvements: spellcheck and grammar check ("partlybecause" and "he's make" and there are a lot of parts that are redundant: "hearing about his experiences ... would be interesting to hear about" and some sentences don't make sense... "he would give me good life lessons just by talking to him")

    ReplyDelete